Monday, July 25, 2011

Why vegetarianism should not be advocated

By Adam Kochanowicz

I was once a vegetarian who believed so strongly in vegetarian education, I continued to recommend others go vegetarian even when I was a vegan.  Eventually, I came to my senses and realized the ethical implications of a vegetarian diet are no better than an omnivorous one.

Yet advocates today are happy to tell people to go vegetarian due to some faulty logic which I will examine. Advocates believe vegetarianism is useful because it leads to veganism and anyone who disagrees is "infighting."

I've been accused plenty of times by vegetarians of being "anti-vegetarian," I was once a vegetarian myself and I wish someone would have written this article for me.  For those of you who truly take the rights of animals seriously, I'm asking you to read this article with an open mind.

Should animal rights activists promote vegetarianism?

imageOf course, advocating an entirely vegan lifestyle can be overwhelming to some but should advocating vegetarianism be our response?  While an individual may not be persuaded to give up all animal products, we should keep our message vegan, never recommending vegetarianism as a step. I will explain why I believe this momentarily.

Truly, there are no sets of animal products which are more ethical to animals than another set. All require exploitation which puts an animal in the situation in which poor treatment is inevitable.  The general public is lead to believe, for instance, dairy can't be so bad because you don't have to kill the cow to get the milk.

However, pretty much all food animals will end up in the slaughter house once they no longer fulfill their previous role as existing for our use.  When a cow stops giving milk, a bird stops producing eggs, an elephant stops doing tricks, what do you suppose a business which relies on these functions will do?

Read More on http://www.examiner.com Here!

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Free Samples